What is Colic?
Colic is pain in stomach because of various reasons, causing severe discomfort to infants, making them extremely cranky. When babies cry inconsolably for hours together, it can be because of colic.
What causes colic?
No definite reason for the colic is known yet but probable causes of colic are enumerated as under;
- If you are breast feeding your child, then something you must be eating may not be suiting your baby’s digestive system.
- Contents of formula feed
- Abdomen Gas
- Developing digestive system of the baby causing muscles cramps.
- Mood changes of the baby.
- Oversensitivity to something
Home remedies to soothe colic
- Place your baby on your shoulder and gently help the baby burp. Burping is the best method to wind the baby. Making the baby burp after every feed will avoid causing colic.
- Mix a teaspoon of asafoetida (Hing) with milk or water, making a thick paste. Spread it around the navel of the baby. Let it stand for 5 minutes. Wipe it clean later. This method will help release the blocked gases from the baby’s abdomen.
- Hold both the legs of the baby together and gently move them upwards to touch baby’s forehead. This will create a pressure on the stomach and channelize the air. Remember don’t do it immediately after feeding your baby, otherwise the baby may puke.
- Massage the baby’s stomach, with a little pressure, from top to down (as shown in the image below). Coconut oil can be used for this kind of massage. This will help wind the baby.
- Create a soothing and quite ambiance in the baby’s room, with dim lights. This will help the baby to calm down and sleep.
- Put the baby in a swing or any other favorite place where she enjoys. You can also take the baby for a small drive to divert her attention from the pain. If she is not in much pain, then she may doze off.
- Even after all these techniques, if the baby is still crying incessantly then use the medicine which helps in soothing the babies down. The most popularly used is Colic Aid or Colimex.These both are tried and tested by me and both work wonders in relaxing the pain. The contents of these medicines are completely herbal and effectively soothe the cranky babies.
Always remember to use the allopathic medicines as the last option. Try the home remedies before resorting to them. Colic is a natural phenomenon which happens to almost all babies till they are four months old (in some cases colic stays longer too). Medicines can be addictive and the baby’s digestive system may soon get used to it, eventually making them ineffective. Then you will have to use higher dosages for this common problem, which will have its adverse effects in the future.
COLIC AID/ COLIMEX ARE THE LAST WEAPONS YOU HAVE TO SOOTHE YOUR BABY SO USE THEM VERY JUDICIOUSLY. Always keep them as the last option.